This sounds like a crazy-difficult recipe but it is really just an on-the-fly dish i put together last night that is the result of some sweet concurrent sales going on at Whole Foods and Foodtown right now and doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to make. This was really, really good and I’m just making a note of it here for my neighbors and so that I don’t forget about it.
Mangos are 3 for $2 at FT and FT always has conventional avocados on the cheap and both mangos and avocados are on the safe-side of the conventionally grown vs organic list –meaning they organic versions aren’t hugely better for you than the conventional.
At the Whole Foods you can get nice local (Farmingdale) corn and fresh mahi mahi.
- 1lb mahi
- 4 ears corn
- 1 jalapeño (or a scotch bonnet if you really want some heat)
- 2 bottles of 2011 or 2012 white bordeaux (1 for while you’re cooking, one for while you’re eating)
- 2 avocados
- mangos (you only need 1)
- 1 lime
- prep the corn (remove husk, wrap 4 ears and a dozen ice cubes tight in some foil)
- Put corn on grill over hot spot.
- put some cayenne and salt on the mahi
- put fish on the grill.
make the salsa
- cube up a mango
- cube up the avocado(s)
- dice jalepeno
- mix this upstuff and squeeze lime on it
- (if you’ve got some bermuda onion hanging around, a tablespoon or so of that diced into the salsa is nice but not mandatory).
after about 8-10 mins on the grill;
- flip the mahi
- take the corn out of the foil and put it over direct heat to char it a bit all around
- take 2 ears of corn and cut the kernels onto cutting board, let it cool a bit before you mix it into salsa.
take the mahi off the grill, serve it with a ton of salsa on it. drink heavily. make your kids do the dishes.